Pages

Monday, March 11, 2013

Korean Reminder

As I track the news regarding the current animosity in Korea, I have been reminded of a few things. I first remember my grandfather who served in the military during the Korean Conflict. While we as Americans have forgotten much of the details of that time in history, it remains a constant personal reminder of a man I never knew. However, there is a more important lesson I have learned.

America invested about three years and over thirty thousand lives in this fight. However, much of that has been forgotten already by the general public. About sixty years have passed and the conflict rages in increasing intensity today with the renewed possibility of hostilities. What then was the impact of that sacrifice so many years ago? For what did those men give their lives?

I do not question the conflict nor its impact politically. That is not my area of expertise nor intent. What I do realize is that our lives are precious and dedicated to something each and every day. The question we must face each day is the worth of our goals and endeavors. Will the energy we expend each day matter for something important? We exhaust ourselves on all sorts of things. But is our effort going to a cause which will last the test of time and stand worthwhile against the backdrop of eternal history?

Only that which directs glory to God will stand against the abrasive and destructive power of time and perpetuity. As the old hymn aptly said, "Only one life twill soon be past, only what's done for Christ will last." Any war of human creation whether actual war or our own battles for personal achievement will ultimately fall as worthless endeavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment