Pages

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Measuring Mediocrity

Upon this time of year as most humans celebrate the passing of an artificial way to track our relatively short lives, it is common to stop and reflect upon the past and the future. Likewise, I myself am approaching that particular day in which we celebrate our birth even though that day came long after our life actually began. For some reason though, the awkwardness of the birthing process is easier to think about than celebrating the actual conception. In conjunction with both of these factors, I am naturally an introspective melancholy so it is not hard to spend time dwelling on the slow and steady passage of time.
But this year as I arrive at my 29th birthday (yes it is actually 29) I have come to a stark realization. As a teen and subsequently as a young 20 something young man, it is easy to entertain grand thoughts of successes in numerous fields of life. We picture and work towards excellence in various pursuits and envision a time when we are considered one of the best in the world. This is encouraged by most all societies and cultures.
However, as I have come to the point in which I can see the age of 30 in the distance, a new truth is now staring me in the face. Instead of unparalleled success, I am quite sure now that in most every arena of life, I will remain average or less for the remainder of my life. I will never be the best writer or debater. I will never master photography or art. I will never be faster, stronger, taller or smarter than the majority of people. I will never win grand prizes or "go out on top." I won't be considered famous for some skill. I won't become the master of any particular field. And I will probably never finish a Rubik's cube.
In most regards, mediocrity will become standard for my life. However, such truth is not depressing. I have come to realize that my greatest weakness is my pride. If God gave me the ability to be the best at anything, I would promptly forget that it was God who supplied that gift. The only way that God can use me for His glory is if I am not special. The awareness of my own shortcomings and dependence for success upon God is far more freeing than actual achievements. This is no excuse for laziness but the total trust upon God to provide the success. I remember as a child trying to "help" my dad. Though the tool was in my own hand, my dad's hand completely covered my small hand and directed and moved the action to accomplish the job. It is this picture which I now realize is far more appropriate of God's work in our lives. As I move into a new year, I hope that being average will encourage me to more action rather than constantly practicing to be the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment