Pages

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Lesson from my Car

In the fall of the year 2002 I finally made my way to the BMV to obtain approval from the government to operate a motor vehicle. In contrary nature to normal people, I had not felt the need to obtain said license at the normal age of 16. So, at the age of 19 I practiced a few times and successfully passed the relatively simple requirements laid down by law. It seems odd how easy it is to achieve a license to drive when it basically allows you to operate a deadly weapon.
However, after this life milestone, I was then in need of a vehicle to operate. I had saved a small amount of money for the purpose of purchasing a car. I knew that with no real job and about to head off to my second year of college that a loan was out of the question. Therefore, I was relegated to a rather simple car search.

Me: (walking into dealership) Do you have any cars for under $1000?
Dealer: No.
Me: (walking out of dealership) Thank you.

Eventually, in the back corner of a parking lot of one dealer I found a car. The actual price on the car was unreadable. However, in one short test drive and transaction, I was the first time owner of a car. That 1987 Chevy Nova has remained with me to this day. I am by no means skilled in mechanical work. Nor am I well versed in car terminology. However, I have learned many lessons about life while maintaining a car that is almost as old as I am.

But this year, as my car turns 25, I have learned something new. I finally realize what it means to not take something for granted. Every day, as I sit in my car to drive to work, I have the conscious realization that my car may not make it through the day. The potential for my car to die completely is ever present. And each day when I make it home again, I am grateful for the simple fact that my car worked. This recognition has begun to creep into other areas of my life. What guarantees do I really have about many things? What should I truly be thankful for each day? How much do I realize the blessing of God in little things like a car working, having water to drink, good health, electricity, family, etc?

While there are many other vehicles I would like to drive on a daily basis, few would help my humility and heart as much as the one God has given me. I am finally coming to the realization that such a truth is probably found in most areas of my life. Learning to be thankful for my very old and unique car has led to other lessons for which I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment