Pages

Monday, March 30, 2020

Introduction

As I began my time as a parent, I realized the allure of the exceptional. Previously, I had always sat in wonder as I watched parents seeks to find or elevate some attribute of their child. They seemed to desire their child to give meaning to their life by achieving in some way. But now that I was walking the path of parenthood, I recognized the same desire. Was my child bigger, faster, smarter? The percentiles and measurements provided an opportunity for pride or remorse. Fortunately, I have come to accept that my child will most likely be average much as I am and was. I will encourage effort and comfort loss but I will seek daily to find my satisfaction in something greater than my child's achievements.
But this desire for the exceptional has I feel tinted the window through which we view the stories of the Bible. Certain characters have become larger than life and define whole genres of stories. David and Goliath, the Prodigal Son, Daniel and the Lions, Noah and the Ark: each of these stories has been told and celebrated to the point where they become commonplace and cultural. Yet even in a book as historically popular as the Bible, certain characters have been relegated to the background. This, I believe, is a great injustice. There are so few stories in the Bible compared to what could have been included that every character was chosen and included for a reason. By sticking to the popular stories and characters of the Bible, we miss great depth of perspective on the full complement of people that were included.
It is my desire to change that failure. I want to take some time and walk with you through some of lesser known characters of the Bible. Their forgotten stories provide vital understanding of the range of human experience. Maybe you have found the Bible to be a stale book in the past. This could be in part because you were overlooking a story that would resonate with your heart. While not secret, the lives and stories of these people will open new doors of knowledge. Join me on a tour of these people. Let their failures or successes be a testament that while we may not be long remembered for our work in the world our efforts are noticed by the only one who truly can provide a lasting reward.

No comments:

Post a Comment